What you’ll learn
- Dynamics of Indian FMCG industry with real time data, examples and use cases
- FMCG Category Analysis
- FMCG Company Analysis
- Impact of Modern Retail on FMCG
- Data sources to access FMCG industry information
Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) is the 4th largest industry in India with annual revenue of over US $100 bn. FMCG companies one of the important recruiters in b-schools and hire for Sales, Marketing, Analytics, Operations, Supply Chain, Finance and HR roles. Many FMCG companies also offer PPOs based on the performance in Summer Internship projects. A good knowledge of FMCG industry will help b-school students and professionals who are interested in a career in FMCG industry, consultants working on projects related to FMCG industry and anyone interested in this industry.
- This course will be taught based real life industry data collected through interactions with industry leaders, various company reports and experience of tracking the industry for several years.
- Many interesting stories and use cases have been included.
- The industry data will be updated periodically to reflect the latest trends.
Indian FMCG Industry Overview
- Characteristics of Indian FMCG Industry
- Size and Growth
- Industry Segments
- Share of Rural and Urban Demand
- Share of General and Modern Trade
- Penetration and Per capita Consumption
- Numeric and Weighted Distribution
- Some Common Strategies adopted by FMCG Players
Category Analysis is the core of the FMCG industry analysis. In this course you will learn an effective framework to analyze an FMCG category within a short period of time by understanding key qualitative and quantitative trends. The framework has been explained by taking real time data of 3 categories – Bath and Shower, Haircare and Deodorants.
The framework covers:
- Category Size
- Category break-up in terms of different products
- Growth of different products within the category
- Company Market shares and changes over the years
- Brand shares and changes over the years
- New launches and key category trends
The driving factors for changes in market shares, important brand wars etc will be discussed in each category.
Data related to several other categories will be added in due course.
You will learn how to do the business analysis of an FMCG company and what important parameters to look for. Two companies have been analyzed in great detail. One is Hindustan Unilever Limited which is the largest FMCG company in India and the other is Patanjali which is a major disruptor in Indian FMCG industry in the last decade. Following are the key areas covered for both the companies
Hindustan Unilever Limited
- Business Mix
- Growth and Margins
- Why HUL’s profitability show a distinct trend after 2010?
- Distribution strength in General Trade and Modern Trade
- Analysis of Brands and their performance
- Comparison of top brands of HUL and ITC
- New Launches in the last few years and their performance
- Focus categories of the Future
- Analysis of HUL’s acquisition of Indulekha
- Analysis of HUL’s acquisition of GSK
- Project Shakti -What is it and it’s impact on the company
- Project Shikhar- What is it and it’s impact on the company
- Distinct growth trends between 2010 to 2017 and 2017 to 2022
- How Patanjali grew very fast between 2017 and 2022?
- Segmental mix of Patanjali
- Why Patanjali’s growth slowed after 2017?
- Analysis of Ruchi Soya acquisition
- Why Patanjali acquired Ruchi Soya?
- Turnaround story of Ruchi Soya
Impact of Modern Retail on FMCG
Sources to access FMCG industry and company data.