What you’ll learn
- Build a process to help you start and actually finish writing your first book.
- Understand the opportunities available to you via traditional publishers and self-publishing platforms.
- Have the confidence to promote and sell your book.
- Earn money as a published author.
This online course is designed to help aspiring writers realize their potential and guide them through the process of writing, publishing, marketing and selling their first book. It will look at the writing process, examine publishing and distribution options and highlight potential opportunities and pitfalls.
Topics Covered Include:
What’s The Big Idea?
- Have you got a book inside of you?
- Inspiration and where to find it
- Fail to Plan, plan to fail
The Writing Process
- The writing process (think job, not hobby)
- Setting targets and hitting deadlines
- The editorial process
- Common pitfalls/roadblocks
Pitching to a Publisher/Agent
- The benefits of working with a traditional publisher
- When and how to pitch
- What you should expect from a publisher
- When to walk away
Going it Alone
- Disadvantages of working with a traditional publisher
- Digital disruption (you’ve never had it so good)
- Indie not amateur
- Self-publishing vs Vanity publishing
- Getting help (freelance editorial and design support)
- Self-Publishing platforms/distribution networks
- Hardback, Paperback, eBook (epub, mobi), audiobooks
Embracing Your Inner-Self Publicist (Selling Your Work)
- Public Relations
- Public Speaking
- Social Media
- Email Marketing
- Setting expectations
- Alternative streams of revenue
Building a Back Catalogue
- Rinse, repeat
- eBook Singles
- Writing a series
- Free vs paid distribution